What to Do When Your Loved One Has Been Arrested for Drugs
It can be difficult to watch a loved one struggle with drug addiction, especially if they have been arrested for drug use. However, there are steps you can take to help your loved one get the help they need to overcome their addiction. In this article, we will explore what to do if your loved one has been arrested for drug use and how to get them into treatment.
1. Understand the legal process. If your loved one has been arrested, it is important to understand the legal process. This includes knowing their rights, understanding the charges they are facing, and knowing what to expect during court proceedings. This knowledge can help you make informed decisions about how to proceed.
2. Find a treatment program. Finding a treatment program that meets your loved one’s needs is essential. There are many different types of treatment programs available, including inpatient, outpatient, and residential programs.
3. Work with a lawyer. If your loved one has been arrested, it is important to work with a lawyer who can help navigate the legal system. A lawyer can help your loved one understand their legal rights, negotiate plea deals, and advocate for treatment instead of jail time.
4. Consider a drug court program. Drug court programs are designed to help individuals with substance use disorders avoid incarceration and receive treatment instead. These programs are often run by the court system and involve regular drug testing, court appearances, and treatment sessions.
5. Plan an intervention. If your loved one is resistant to treatment, it may be helpful to plan an intervention. An intervention involves gathering friends and family members to confront the person with addiction and encourage them to seek treatment. It is important to work with a professional interventionist who can guide you through the process and ensure that it is done in a safe and supportive manner.
6. Offer support. Finally, it is important to offer your loved one support throughout the treatment process. This may include attending counseling sessions with them, helping with transportation to treatment appointments, and providing emotional support and encouragement.
If you know someone who needs help with substance abuse, please call our team at Narconon Ojai. With the right support and treatment, recovery is possible. Your loved one can overcome their addiction and live a fulfilling life.
1. National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2019). Criminal Justice DrugFacts. Retrieved from https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/criminal-justice
2. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2018). Finding Quality Treatment for Substance Use Disorders. Retrieved from https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/treatment
3. National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2018). Principles of Drug Addiction Treatment: A Research-Based Guide (Third Edition). Bethesda, MD: National Institute on Drug Abuse.
4. National Association of Drug Court Professionals. (n.d.). What is a Drug Court? Retrieved from https://www.nadcp.org/learn/what-is-a-drug-court